[Marxism] Moderator's note

Xenon Zi-Neng Yuan wenhuadageming at comcast.net
Thu Jun 17 16:55:17 MDT 2004

At 06:30 PM 6/17/2004, Louis Proyect wrote:
>You don't seem to have understood my point. These students were learning
>how to become capitalist managers. This was not the case in the 1950s. At
>that time the People's Republic of China was a powerful revolutionary
>symbol. It is no longer. There is anti-Asian prejudice in the USA but it
>has nothing to do with China representing a threat to US imperialism.
>People hate Chinese people for the same reason they hate Indians or
>Philippinos. It is xenophobia.

india and the philippines frankly have little potential of becoming
full-fledged adversaries of US imperialism.  china does, whether it be as a
capitalist or communist rival.

>What is metropolitan discourse? Is this an example:
>
>Speech on Rural Development and Environmental Protection
>—Presented at the 1st Green China Forum (Oct. 25, 2003)
>
>Wen Tiejun

it would have been nice if you had posted that *instead* of an article
which seemed to me more aligned with an bourgeois environmentalist
perspective coming from an outside observer within the imperial host nation.

>I refuse to patronize people of color in this fashion. Ideas have to stand
>on their own merit, whoever is advancing them.

so is affirmative action or the demand for reparations patronizing?  btw,
lou paulsen's post could offer you some productive suggestions on how to
better and "unpatronizingly" approach people of color as a white male leftist.

>And all of these groups in Elbaum's book are dead. They died because they
>had a toxic internal political culture in which people were perpetually
>being denounced either as objectively pro-imperialist, racist, sexist,
>male chauvinist or petty-bourgeois. Please excuse me if I insist on
>keeping Marxmail free of such methods.

i specifically said the DESCENDANTS of those groups.  elbaum himself cites
fred ho's "legacy to liberation" as a source for more background
information on associated groups of primarily asian and pacific islander
composition.  (or try a slightly different take by UCLA's "asian americans:
the movement and the moment") in such sources is also detailed some of the
evolution of those groups after breakup/dissolution in the present day.

xzy