[Marxism] Moderator's note

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jun 17 17:14:35 MDT 2004

Xenon Zi-Neng Yuan wrote:
> india and the philippines frankly have little potential of becoming
> full-fledged adversaries of US imperialism.  china does, whether it be
> as a capitalist or communist rival.

I am surprised to hear this from you. A day does not go by without
alarms being raised by outsourcing of high technology to India.

> it would have been nice if you had posted that *instead* of an article
> which seemed to me more aligned with an bourgeois environmentalist
> perspective coming from an outside observer within the imperial host
> nation.

I had no idea that the other articles would have set off such a
controversy. Frankly, it seems rather uncontroversial to me that the
Chinese ruling class has about as much sensitivity to environmental
questions as does the Mexican ruling class.

> so is affirmative action or the demand for reparations patronizing?
> btw, lou paulsen's post could offer you some productive suggestions on
> how to better and "unpatronizingly" approach people of color as a white
> male leftist.

I have a completely different idea about these issues than Lou Paulsen,
who is an unreconstructed Marxist-Leninist. Frankly, I would ban terms
like "white chauvinism", "sexism", "objectively pro-imperialist", etc.
from our discourse. I imagine that in a fierce faction fight in the WWP,
such terms would inevitably come up.

> i specifically said the DESCENDANTS of those groups.  elbaum himself
> cites fred ho's "legacy to liberation" as a source for more background
> information on associated groups of primarily asian and pacific islander
> composition.  (or try a slightly different take by UCLA's "asian
> americans: the movement and the moment") in such sources is also
> detailed some of the evolution of those groups after breakup/dissolution
> in the present day.

If these descendants operate the way that their predecessors did, I
would find very little to learn from them--at least on how to build a
revolutionary party. That being said, individuals like Marlene Dixon or
Carl Davidson did write some interesting analysis from time to time. I
just have no use for the sectarian baggage that went along with it.

--
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org