[Marxism] After Reagan's death, Clinton's comeback: "I never thought of resigning and I stood up to it and beat it back"

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Fri Jun 18 05:16:48 MDT 2004

Talk about recycling presidents... former President Bill Clinton talks about
his upcoming memoir, "My Life," in an exclusive interview with Dan Rather
broadcast on 60 Minutes Sunday, June 20, 2004, at 7 p.m. ET/PT. Mr. Clinton
took on every question, including one about what he called his personal
failure - his affair with Monica Lewinsky. Hilary Clinton had previously
published her memoirs, titling the penultimate chapter: "Dare to compete".

For the interview, Dan Rather sat down with the former president in his home
in Westchester, New York, and traveled with him through Arkansas over a
weekend to cover his childhood, his life in politics, and the ups and downs
of his presidency.

Rather: "The central question, if I may, and I know this is difficult, the
central question is why?". Clinton: "I think I did something for the worst
possible reason - just because I could. I think that's the most , just about
the most morally indefensible reason that anybody could have for doing
anything. When you do something just because you could ... I've thought
about it a lot. And there are lots of more sophisticated explanations, more
complicated psychological explanations. But none of them are an excuse ...
Only a fool does not look to explain his mistakes."

The affair's disclosure put him, Mr. Clinton said, "in the doghouse" with
his wife, and also threatened to alienate his daughter, Chelsea. The family
was able to overcome its terrible effect through counseling, however.
Hillary, said Mr. Clinton, needed time with him to decide whether she would
stay married to him. "We'd take a day, a week, and we did - a whole day, a
week, every week, for a year, maybe a little more - and did counseling,"
says Mr. Clinton. "We did it together. We did it individually. We did family
work."

Mr. Clinton also told Rather that he is proud that he fought the impeachment
battle that failed to drive him from office.
"I didn't quit. I never thought of resigning and I stood up to it and beat
it back," he told Rather. "The whole battle was a badge of honor. I don't
see it as a stain, because it was illegitimate," said Mr. Clinton of the
impeachment process which he called "an abuse of power."

Mr. Clinton said he viewed his economic plan as the greatest accomplishment
of his presidency. "I kept score, how many people's lives were better off,"
he told Rather. "I think the fact that we were able to have 22 million jobs
and record home ownership and lower interest rates . people actually had the
ability to do more things than ever before."

He claimed he had had many days as president that he counts among his best,
including his efforts to help the residents of Kosovo and rid the world of a
dictator. "The day that Kosovar war ended and I knew Milosevic's days were
numbered was a great day. I had a lot of great days," he said.
http://www.cbsnews.com/  (Milosovic's trial proceedings at
http://hague.bard.edu/ ).

The first print-run of Clinton's autobiography "My Life" (Random House),
which is said to be nearly a thousand pages long, is a whopping 1.5 million
copies, and is expected to break US sales records. For author events and
book signings, see
http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/catalog/display.pperl?0375414576).

J.