[Marxism] Get real!

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jun 18 07:43:24 MDT 2004

LouPaulsen wrote:
> http://www.ex.ac.uk/Projects/meia/Lenin/Archive/19221231a.htm
>
> (I hereby incorporate Lenin's entire argument by reference)
>
> I realize that citing Lenin from 1922 doesn't automatically win an argument
> in 2004, but then I am not convinced that the US in 2004 has advanced to
> being a "color-blind society" and has become qualitatively different from
> the "prison-house of nations" in 1922, or that all of our practice on the
> national question is so superior to the Bolsheviks' that we don't have to
> think about the things that Lenin did.  When my position is called
> 'liberalism' (citing another response), that doesn't bother me because Lenin
> was accused of "national liberalism" in his time.

Lenin was dealing with the question of Stalin's treatment of the
Georgian national minority, something that Melvin would have dismissed
cavalierly I should add. It is persistent problem for revolutionary
governments that inherit traditions of national backwardness and
inequality. The FSLN had a problem with the Miskitos, etc. But I am not
sure how this translates into a listserv.

There are no cops or soldiers on Marxmail. We have no way of enforcing
the prerogatives of a dominant nationality, unless putting Melvin on
moderation is tantamount to the Georgians being denied the right to
secede from the USSR.

To be blunt about it, I think what is going on here is not much
different from what we used to hear from Ulhas, a subscriber from India,
who identified strongly with the neoliberal trend of the Indian
government but used Marxish jargon to defend it. When he was challenged
politically by me, he would basically argue that citizens of imperialist
countries were demonstrating the same kind of arrogance as the British
colonizers.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org