[Marxism] Re: Real Left Unity

David McDonald dbmcdonald at comcast.net
Fri Jun 18 09:57:20 MDT 2004

For the record, a couple of years after the Nicaraguan revolution, when
CISPES was going strong, the SWP began to take the approach that its
members should NOT be the best builders of the solidarity movement and
should instead provide leadership by selling the Militant, inviting
people to forums, and generally spend our time talking about the SWP
without regard to the actual campaigns of CISPES. Precisely the same
line was taken toward the women's movement, in which numerous comrades
were told to maintain a propaganda presence and stop acting like live
members of the movement.

I found this hard to take (but I took it!) as the Milwaukee branch of
the YSA had just recruited 8, yes count 'em 8, people through taking
leadership in a student group at UW-Milwaukee that organized a big bus
caravan to a national demonstration in D.C. It was the only time in my
entire political experience that I was a member of a group that was
getting larger rather than smaller.

When you take a line like that you inevitably irritate people who want
to do stuff and set yourself up for whatever comes.

David McDonald