[Marxism] Get real!

Jose G. Perez elgusanorojo at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 18 12:12:57 MDT 2004

>>Melvin, I'm afraid, was guilty of a refusal to think in class terms.<<

It is not true that you can reduce all political manifestation that
arise from the class struggle to class terms. Our starting point cannot
be simply the division between capital and labor, but must also include
the division between oppressor and oppressed nations, which is
absolutely *central to everything* in this epoch.

Imperialism is the highest stage of capitalism and brings with it a
historically unprecedented intensification of chauvinism, racial and
national oppression. The reason for this is not hard to understand.
Capitalism as an economic system is international in scope, but the
political power it relies on to create a proper environment for its
operation is *national.*

The obvious, quick way to remedy this situation is to subjugate those
political systems that are not under direct imperialist control to those
that are, either directly through colonialism, or less directly through
the IMF, World Bank, WTO, NAFTA and so on.

Thinking "in class terms" to the exclusion of recognizing the difference
between oppressor and oppressed nations, and the differences between a
pliant neocolonial regime like the Mexican one that makes itself a tool
of the imperialists, and a government that is, with whatever
hesitations, contradictions and mistakes, resisting imperialism is
*precisely* the kind of error that Lenin criticized in his 1915-1916
articles against "imperialist economism."

José