[Marxism] Discussing China

LouPaulsen LouPaulsen at comcast.net
Sat Jun 19 11:59:43 MDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Louis Proyect" <lnp3 at panix.com>

> So if the working class organizes a general strike to defend the iron
> rice bowl and Human Rights Watch endorses it, you'll take the side of
> the government if it decides to smash the strike?

Of course not, IF that is actually what is happening (that is, *the working
class* has organized the strike).  Similarly we supported the original
strikes in Danzig from which Solidarnosc emerged.  But when this general
strike is then converted into a political movement to overthrow "Communist
despotism" and establish a "democratic government" which will be welcome in
the "community of nations", I assume that we will all realize that the
situation has changed?

LPa