[Marxism] Frozen Gringos The Day After Tomorrow: Don't Go There

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Sat Jun 19 15:36:38 MDT 2004

http://www.counterpunch.org/anderson06192004.html

June 19 / 20, 2004
Frozen Gringos
The Day After Tomorrow: Don't Go There

By BRUCE ANDERSON

The movie "The Day After Tomorrow" is the single most moronic film I've
seen since "Bill and Coo," an epic I was dragged to as a child, circa 1950.
Bill and Coo were talking parakeets, The Day After Tomorrow is talking
cretins.

The subject is global warming, kind of, which results in an overnight quick
freeze of the northern hemisphere. As New York City is hit by serial
tsunamis which overnight turn millions of people to multi-cultural ice
cubes (all of it reported by the Fox Network whose logo appears constantly
on screen in all kinds of contexts because Rupert Murdoch owns the Fox
Network AND the movie) a cast of imbeciles sets out to save us from
ourselves. But it's too late. The lands of the white man are now subject to
such severe weather they are rendered uninhabitable. Not that there are
many whiteys left to inhabit them. If the sudden freezes don't get them,
the high tides and the tornadoes will. (It occurred to me that The Day
After Tomorrow will undoubtedly be very popular in the Arab countries.)

The sole opportunity for something interesting to happen in the movie
occurs near the end when our president freezes to death trying to get out
of popsicle-ized DC and his successor, made up to resemble Dick Cheney,
orders Americans to haul ass south for the border. Now if Anderson Valley
Advertiser or CounterPunch readers had made the film, our fellow citizens,
upon reaching San Ysidro, would have been turned back by the Mexican Army.
"Tough tamales, gringos. You bastards think you're going to get into the
warm weather after what you've done to us all these years?" But in this
thing, the Mexicans are happy as hell to take on a two hundred and fifty
million of US as President Cheney advises Americans to hit the road for
Mexico and points south for "what we used to call the Third World."

Nice bit of straight-up racism in that one, but it's read off without so
much as a hint of irony. What we used to call the Third World! The gringos
have arrived so you folks just got promoted to the First World! If you're
thinking of paying your way into seen "The Day After Tomorrow," you might
want to think again.

[...]