[Marxism] Research Question: Looking for Data on Sentencing in the U.S. Prison System

Kevin Lindemann and Cathy Campo kklcac at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 19 17:58:48 MDT 2004

I am trying to find data on sentencing in the U.S. prison system.
Specifically, I'm trying to find data on the following questions:

1. Is there a correlation between prior conviction and incarceration and
the length of current sentence?

2. Is there a correlation between the length of sentence and the use /
non-use of a public defender?

3. Is there a correlation between the length of sentence and the use of
plea bargaining?

Each of these issues will have some specific sub-variables. For example,
in (1.), the question must include whether the charges on subsequent
arrests are escalated, as well as the sentence.

If anyone on the list has data on these questions or could point me to
sources, I'd be very appreciative (please respond off list).

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Kevin Lindemann