Class Unity Re: [Marxism] Moderator's note

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jun 20 11:12:42 MDT 2004

"Jose G. Perez" wrote:

> The problem is that you can ban the *terms* white chauvinism, white
> supremacist, racism, sexism, etc., from the list, but you cannot ban the
> things that they refer to from the left, the working class movement and
> the communist movement, and therefore from finding expression on the
> list.

This is a pretty good list of the barriers to class unity. Hence to
downplay them is in effect to claim that marxists have no interest in
the unity or levelf of political consciousness of the working class.

And if, as I would assume, the core duty of marxists is to work for
growth in working-class unity, it follows that the topics which should
predominate in our discussion are, precisely, the topics of white
supremacy, male supremacy, racism, and sexism. (I use the terms of
"racism" and "sexism" to indicate the ideologies grounded in the
material realities of white and male supremacy.)

Carrol