[Marxism] Fewer Jews, more money

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Thu Jun 24 13:48:28 MDT 2004

Respuesta a: [Marxism] Fewer Jews, more money
Remitido por: Louis Proyect
Fecha: Jueves 24 de Junio de 2004
Hora: 12:46
*****

> The report found a clear, inverse relationship between attendance at
> Jewish day schools, and intermarriage: intermarriage drops with increased
> enrollment of children in Jewish educational facilities on a daily basis -
> and not as part of an extra-curricular program. Therefore, the countries
> which lead the world in Jewish education appeared at the bottom of the
> intermarriage list. In Israel, 97 percent of [Jewish] children are
> enrolled in a Jewish school. In South Africa and Mexico, 85 percent of
> Jewish children attend Jewish schools, in Britain 67 percent, in Australia
> 65 percent, in Argentina 60 percent, in Canada 55 percent, and in the U.S.
> 29 percent. In Russia and Ukraine, only 15 percent of Jewish children
> attend Jewish schools.

Some weeks ago, I had to go to a Jewish school in Buenos Aires.

I got almost sick when I realized that the current official trend is
"a Jewish education that recognizes the centrality of Israel to
Jewish life".  A friend and cde. of mine, who works at a Jewish
institution, confirmed the "Israelization" of "Jewish life" at all
levels, with examples which run particularly along the "children
game" lane.  That is, children are taught, even when playing games,
to be "good Jews first and foremost", which means to support Israel
whatever Israel does!

No surprise that these schools are so succesful.  Yes, successful. A
45% rate of intermarriage is a good mark for Argentina.  Rates of
intermarriage were quite higher (don't have the figures, but I am
sure that this would be the result, at least at a first sight survey
by anyone around my age) among young Jews of the 60s and 70s, most of
whom were children of the excellent Argentinean public educational
system.

Since the Argentinean public education system (once a model system)
deteriorated, attendance of children to either Parish, Community
(that is, Jewish, Armenian, etc.) or simply private schools has
inceased among the middle class to which Argentine Jews mainly
belong.  Again, reaction and convolution of Jews within themselves
show to go hand in hand.

Anyway, even under these conditions, a 45% rate of intermarriage
makes one think that the Argentinean Jewish community still has good
chances of either have a decent and honorable assimilation or either
rejecting Israeli grip (this I find much more complex) and still keep
Jewish.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822