[Marxism] Left Hook Updated

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Thu Jun 24 18:32:26 MDT 2004

www.lefthook.org

Last Release: Thursday, June 24, 2004

The 15th of February 2003: A Eulogy and Prelude

| Keith Rosenthal |

It's high time that the anti-war movement addresses the 500-pound
gorilla standing in the middle of the room. That's right - I'm talking
about the mass movement that collapsed roughly around the 20th of March
2003, in the wake of Bush's decision to go ahead with the invasion of Iraq.

We all remember the feeling of euphoria on February 15th of that year,
when 10 million people worldwide marched against the war on Iraq.
Millions took to the streets across America, chanting, blocking traffic,
and speaking out. Although we all knew that Bush was determined to have
his war, somewhere, in the recesses of our minds, we also held a flicker
of hope that maybe-just maybe-we would force him to stand down.

Within two months' time, the million beams of hope had receded back into
the dark alleys of the general feeling of powerlessness we know as "the
American political system."

http://lefthook.org/History/Rosenthal062404.html - (Read full)
<History/Rosenthal062404.html>

A Solution to the Iraq Quagmire

| Richard Cranium |

As a decent freedom-loving American, I was really hoping Bush was going
to come up with a winner when he made that speech a few weeks ago
outlining his plan to wrap things up in Iraq. But as he mumbled and
stumbled his way through, it became clear that this was the usual
mumbo-jumbo, the same-old-shizzle just wrapped up in a five-point plan
format to sound more concrete or something.

I was bummed out like you wouldn't believe. After all the crap that's
gone on, this guy still doesn't have a clue? He couldn't even pronounce
Abu Ghraib correctly ("Abu Ga-a-a-ra-a-aaaabeee")! It all got me
thinking, you know, because if he doesn't have a plan, someone has to
come up with one.

A little after all this, I was sitting around reading the New York
Times. I came upon an interesting article, and all of a sudden a grand
solution to the fiasco in Iraq came together in my head like a huge
explosion played in rewind…

http://lefthook.org/Culture/Satire062404.html - (Read full)
<Culture/Satire062404.html>

Forging Alliances: How Democrats Helped Bush Rape Mother Nature

| Josh Frank

George W. Bush’s environmental record can be dummied down to one simple
word: devastating.

Not only has President Bush gutted numerous environmental
laws--including the Clean Air and Water Acts--he has also set a new
precedence by disregarding the world’s top scientists and the Pentagon,
as their concerns about the rate of Global Warming grow graver by the day.

As Mark Townsend and Paul Harris reported for the Observer in the UK in
February of 2004, “[The Pentagon report] predicts that abrupt climate
change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries
develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and
energy supplies. The threat to global stability vastly eclipses that of
terrorism, say the few experts privy to its contents.”

http://lefthook.org/Politics/Frank062404.html - (Read full)
<Politics/Frank062404.html>

Mythmaker Mythmaker

| John Jarowski |

Mythmaker mythmaker, tell me a story
Of how management is divinity
That the 'little guys' don't know what's best for them
And can't manage their own affairs
I want to know why, in lieu…
So tell me all, all that is true

http://lefthook.org/Culture/Jarowski062404.html - (Read full)