[Marxism] Far Right

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Fri Jun 25 07:26:32 MDT 2004

Jurriaan Bendien wrote:
> Einde wrote (correcting spelling):
>
> It has never been a Marxist contention that no workers ever voted for the
> Nazis. The marxist argument has always been that the Nazis never made
> significant inroads into the class-conscious organised proletariat.
>
> Me:
>
> Thanks for the comment. Absolutely, but that is a tautology, that is true by
> definition. But I am not interested in Marxist doctrinal tautologies, but in
> understanding the facts and the real movement of political opinion, as far
> as I can verify that.

I wasn't seeking to express a tautology - I was seeking to correct a
misconception about the Marxist understanding of working-class
consciousness which comes up in the discussion of working-class support
for fascism.

I then went on to apply my understanding of the relationship between
working-class consciousness and voting for fascist or radical right-wing
organisations to the recent local government elections here in Chemnitz,
where the Republikaner got over 10% of the vote (they got a similar
proportion of the vote in the European elections) and some ultra-radical
anti-fascists are already talking about the "stupid workers" voting for
the fascists.

Einde O'Callaghan