[Marxism] ... and Hitler's critique of Marxism

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Sun Jun 27 04:44:56 MDT 2004

When the Hitler bogey is bandied about again, it's worth going beyond
demonic symbols and look at Hitler's substantive argument against Marxism in
Mein Kampf:

"Even if, on the basis of its mass-theory, Marxism should prove itself
capable of taking over and developing the present economic system, that
would not signify anything. The question as to whether the Marxist doctrine
be right or wrong cannot be decided by any test which would show that it can
administer for the future what already exists today, but only by asking
whether it has the creative power to build up according to its own
principles a civilization which would be a counterpart of what already
exists. Even if Marxism were a thousandfold capable of taking over the
economic life as we now have it and maintaining it in operation under
Marxist direction, such an achievement would prove nothing; because, on the
basis of its own principles, Marxism would never be able to create something
which could supplant what exists today. And Marxism itself has furnished the
proof that it cannot do this. Not only has it been unable anywhere to create
a cultural or economic system of its own; but it was not even able to
develop, according to its own principles, the civilization and economic
system it found ready at hand. It has had to make compromises, by way of a
return to the principle of personality, just as it cannot dispense with that
principle in its own organization. The folkish philosophy [Volksphilosophie]
is fundamentally distinguished from the Marxist by reason of the fact that
the former recognizes the significance of race and therefore also personal
worth and has made these the pillars of its structure. These are the most
important factors of its view of life."

Well, Hitler must be correct (sic.) because at the moment I am broke and in
debt. But quite apart from the incontestable gains of the Russian, Chinese
and Cuban people in the new culture built subsequent to their revolutions
against the imperialist order, you have to ask yourself, going beyond
demagogic sophistry, what Hitler really achieved for the world, and the
culture that he built. The damage, detritus and festering sores he
bequeathed are still visible even today. Which leaves me with a quote from
the movie "Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back", where Dak says: "Right now
I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself." and Yoda says: "Ready
are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained
Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have
the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I
watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon.
Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure.
Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless."

Peace,

Jurriaan