[Marxism] Some doubts from an outsider about the Nader-Camejoticket

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Sun Jun 27 13:19:40 MDT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:59:07 -0400, Jose G. Perez
<elgusanorojo at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Fortunately the Greens don't have a Democratic-centralist international.
> The U.S. Green Party is a separate and distinct phenomenon from the
> similarly-named outfits across the pond. As a political "brand" name it
> is identified with antiwar and ecological concerns and with Nader.
>
> You have to remember most United Statesians haven't even *heard* of the
> German Greens, pay little attention to politics

Jose,

I fear the point I wanted to make to not come accross. I am very well
aware that Green parties worldwide funtion differently than so-called IV.
Internationals led by later day avatas of V.I and L.D. In this respect the
German Green party has no influence on the Green Party in the US.

I am aiming more on structural similarities between the present situation
in the US and the mood in Germany at the end of the seventies: At that
time Germany virtually had a two party system (the Liberals [FDP] was more
or less an annex of its bigger coalition partner). (SPD Chancelor Helmut
Schmidt was widely regarded as the Christian Democrats best man.
That was a situation were a lot of left-wingers were looking for an
alternative to the almost indistinguistable CDU/SPD/FDP bloc and a lot of
them saw them in the Green party epecially after ther failed experiences
of Maoist party building projects of the early seventies.
Some even presented the Greens as the party of the "new" working class.
Others thought they might treat the Green party (or its predecessors) as
traditional fronts for the 'real' party. As a result of all this the Green
platforms were all very radical sounding, but they allways failed to
adress the problem how to reach the red-green wonderland.
Lacking any kind of revolutionary strategy the German Green party first
got integrated into electoral politics and than in governentmal politics.

If the US Greens will have any political success they will go the same
path: becoming the junior partner of the Democrats. This will not be
because of vicious influences from the German Greens, but because of
inherent laws of the political system in imperialist states.

Johannes