[Marxism] Re: Bad Subjects article

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Mar 1 13:03:12 MST 2004

Jason Myers wrote:
> Dear Mr. Proyect,
>
> Thanks for your comments regarding Fred Aldama's article on Cuba. I hope you
> also came across my response to him:
> http://eserver.org/bs/66/myers_response_aldama.html
>
> His piece very nearly caused my resignation from Bad Subjects. Luckily, the
> editor who was the driving force behind the 'Marx and Theory' issue has
> already resigned.
>
> Best regards,
>
> J C Myers

Thanks for getting in touch, Jason. I tried to find an email address for
you but couldn't track one down.

Bad Subject's unfounded allegation that Cuba was a transshipment point
for drugs is extremely serious in light of the following:

Boston Globe, March 1, 2004
Drug allegation gave US leverage on Aristide
By Steven Dudley, Globe Correspondent

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti -- An accusation in a Miami courtroom last week
that President Jean-Bertrand Aristide was personally involved in
drug-trafficking apparently gave the United States more leverage to
persuade Aristide to leave the country, diplomats in Haiti said yesterday.

The allegation was made Wednesday by Haitian Beaudoin "Jacques" Ketant,
a convicted drug-trafficker and a former Aristide confidant, as he was
sentenced to a 27-year prison term in federal court in Florida.

Aristide's lawyer angrily denied the allegation, saying Ketant was
trying to save himself by making unfounded accusations against Aristide.
And the United States has not accused Aristide of involvement in
trafficking.

full:
http://www.boston.com/news/world/articles/2004/03/01/drug_allegation_gave_us_leverage_on_aristide/

--