[Marxism] Marx, Markets and Meatgrinders: An Interview with Bertell Ollman

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 09:40:39 MST 2004

In a message dated 3/2/2004 9:39:20 AM Central Standard Time,
cbrown at michiganlegal.org writes:

  Bertell Ollman is a professor of political science at New York University.
He worked in the middle 1960s as an adviser to the Michael Manly government in
Jamaica. He invented the board game Class Struggle. He is the author of
numerous books on Marxism, most recently, How to Take and Exam.and Remake the
World, Ballbuster?: True Confessions of a
Marxist Businessman, and Dance of the Dialectic: Steps in Marxist Methods.

http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/articleview/108/1/28/

What did you eat this morning? Very impressive interview. "Dance to the
Dialectic" is available at Amazon.com but I am going to a local bookstore to pick
this up and examine it, along with "Ballbuster." :-)

I of course have little interest or patience for conceptional frameworks
amongst American Marxists and expositions of dialectics devoid of the language
structures of various sectors of our class compelled to engage the state.
Everything is interesting and important but some things are more important than
others.

In the interview Ollman's "take" on the "ecology" movement made me smile. His
insistence on complexity in living motion is brutal common sense. Everyone is
racing to catch the rising wave. Two home runs in one day.

"Where my Hustlers at?"

"Where my boosters at?"

"Where my surfers at?"

Word