[Marxism] Whale Rider

Paul H. Dillon illonph at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 2 14:28:34 MST 2004

  Louis,

  That was an excellent summary of the movie and analysis of its meaning
within Maori cultural history.  I enjoyed it very much since, if you mention
Bar Mitzvah one can't help but thinking about "Yentl" which is culturally
appropriate.  The movie is about tradition as well as adaptation as you
point out and the gender/sex issue is forefront.

  Paul