[Marxism] Forwarded from Jayson Funke (Soros interview)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 3 11:04:37 MST 2004

(clipped because of excessive length.)

Philanthropist Under Fire
By A BuzzFlash Interview
March 2, 2004

You probably know George Soros as the wealthy financier that the Bush
cartel has targeted. In the eyes of the Bush oligarchy, Soros is a
dangerous traitor. What are Soros' sins?

Well, he believes in democracy, positive international relations and
effective strategies to reduce poverty, among other things. All of these
concepts are considered highly dangerous and subversive to the
Bush-Cheney ruling elite.

What's more, Soros backs up his beliefs with money he earned in the
financial markets. And now he has committed millions of dollars to
defeat George W. Bush. That makes him a class traitor to the corporate
crony contributors who keep the Bush regime afloat.

Which brings us to "The Bubble of American Supremacy: Correcting the
Misuse of American Power," a recently released book by none other than
George Soros. We highly recommend you buy this critical analysis of the
Bush cartel's neo-con fantasy. An edited extract in "The Guardian"
offers an opportunity to preview the book. Take for instance this excerpt:

"And we have been deceived. When he stood for election in 2000,
President Bush promised a humble foreign policy. I contend that the Bush
administration has deliberately exploited September 11 to pursue
policies that the American public would not have otherwise tolerated.
The US can lose its dominance only as a result of its own mistakes. At
present the country is in the process of committing such mistakes
because it is in the hands of a group of extremists whose strong sense
of mission is matched only by their false sense of certitude.

"This distorted view postulates that because we are stronger than
others, we must know better and we must have right on our side. That is
where religious fundamentalism comes together with market fundamentalism
to form the ideology of American supremacy."

George Soros has written a book that brings a sane, humane, articulate
vision to American foreign policy. So the Bush cartel detests Soros for
two reasons: He is an articulate visionary who makes the neo-cons
running the country seem like bumbling intellectual pygmies – and
because he cares about the needs of others more than he cares about the
gluttonous appetite of the Bush "Pioneers."

In your book, "The Bubble of American Supremacy," you make the analogy
that foreign policy under the Bush administration is similar to the
bubble dynamics of a stock market phenomenon. Can you explain that a bit
more?

George Soros: Stock market bubbles don't grow out of thin air. They have
a solid basis in reality – but reality as distorted by a misconception.
Under normal conditions, misconceptions are self-correcting, and the
markets tend toward some kind of equilibrium. Occasionally, a
misconception is reinforced by a trend prevailing in reality, and that
is when a boom-bust process gets under way. Eventually the gap between
reality and its false interpretation becomes unsustainable, and the
bubble bursts.

In financial markets, the reversal is often catastrophic. For instance,
look at the Internet bubble. There was a surge of investment. But that
proved to be overinvestment, without regard for realistic
considerations. Investment increased rapidly, and then became
unsustainable... expectations became unattainable. Then the trend reversed.

Now look at the ideology of American supremacy. It has a solid
foundation in reality; namely, the United States is the dominant power
in the world. The current government believes the United States ought to
use this dominant position to impose its will on the world. That is the
misconception. This approach is not what made America great. America did
not arrive at its dominant position by imposing its will on the world.
But the confluence of a bunch of ideologues in Washington with the
September 11 attack allowed this theory to gain acceptance and to become
the ideology that guided the U.S. response to the terrorist attacks.

It led to the Bush Doctrine, which, as I explain in the book, is based
on two pillars: maintaining military superiority globally – in every
region of the world – and the right to take preemptive military action.
The Bush Doctrine was put to practical test in Iraq, and that's when it
went too far. The decision to go to war in Iraq represents the lack of –
or the suspension of – the deliberative, openly debated process that has
been at the core of American democracy. After Sept. 11, Bush wrapped
himself in the flag. He could not be criticized without the critic being
branded unpatriotic. This lack of political process that allowed the
administration to go off the rails – demonstrated by its attack on Iraq.

full: http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=17999

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org