[Marxism] Left Hook Latest Release

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Wed Mar 3 14:47:14 MST 2004

http://www.lefthook.org

Last Release: Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Democracy on the Floor

| Shemon Salam |

This article is not about names, academia, or famous people. This
article is simply about a dream that we had all agreed to fight for, but
now that dream is faltering. I have woken up from my sleep, away from
fantasyland where I thought solidarity and integrity were the glue
between reality and fantasy. This article is about a dream that once was
and now is being slowly buried in the shadows of academia, stardom, and
activist personalities.

- (Read full) : http://lefthook.org/History/Salam030304.html

Radical Continuity: An Interview with Paul Buhle

| Derek Seidman |

There is probably no one in the world that knows more about the history
of American radicalism than Paul Buhle. A former member of Students for
a Democratic Society and a disciple of CLR James, Buhle founded the
journal Radical America as well as the Oral History of the American Left
project. He is the author/editor of nearly thirty books, including:
/Images of American Radicalism, Marxism in the United States, Radical
Hollywood: The untold story behind America's favorite movies, The
Encyclopedia of the American Left, The Immigrant Left in the United
States, The New Left Revisted, Insurgent Images: The Agitprop Murals of
//Mike// Alewitz/, and the forthcoming /From the Lower Eastside to
Hollywood: Jews in American Popular Culture. /

Buhle is currently teaching at Brown University. Left Hook's
(www.lefthook.org) Derek Seidman recently caught up with him for a short
interview.

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/Politics/SeidmanBuhle030304.html> :
http://lefthook.org/Politics/SeidmanBuhle030304.html

A Night of Inspiration: The Oakland Benefit for Grocery Strikers

| Javier Armas |

Sheldon Curtis, an African-American worker locked out of his Albertsons
job from the Orange county area, spoke about the hardships of the strike
on his family and the difficulties of paying for his house, nevertheless
stressing that he believed his main obligation was to continue fighting
no matter what.

The microphone was then passed to Gary, who moved the audience to tears
when he spoke about a conversation he had with his son, who asked if he
should drop out of college because of the financial problems that arose
from the strike. Gary then started crying and said the impact of the
strike has challenged his importance and social role as a father. As
Gary spoke about the deep psychological effect the strike has had, he
still exemplified the notion of being firm and militant about continuing
the strike.

As the mic passed a warm sensitive applause was giving to Gary.

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/Ground/Armas030304.html> :
http://lefthook.org/Ground/Armas030304.html

Hated Victims, Hidden Racism: Palestinian 'Terrorism' and Israeli
'Democracy' (Part Four of Four)

| M. Junaid Alam|

The expropriated refugees of 1948 did not forget their roots and could
not be robbed of their strong desire to return home. Living in numerous
squalid refugee camps in the remaining 22% of Palestine and elsewhere,
they continued to be the occasional victims of Israeli violence even
before the 1967 occupation. In 1953, for example, Israeli soldiers
massacred 53 civilians, including women and children, in retaliation for
the death of an Israeli family. In 1956, during a brief period of
regional hostilities between Egypt and Israel, 51 more Palestinians
within Israel were gunned down while returning home, for unwittingly
breaking curfew. [31] Some Israeli Palestinians tried to regain their
land through legal measures; in 1954 the Israeli court granted several
Catholic Palestinians the right to return home, and the IDF laid out an
early invitation by bombing and destroying their village shortly
afterwards-on Christmas day.

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/History/Alam030304.html> :
http://lefthook.org/History/Alam030304.html

Reviews of Paul Buhle's Writings

Seeing that we were lucky enough to score an interview with Paul Buhle
for this edition of Left Hook, we wanted to point readers towards some
recent reviews of his books. Below are excerpts from three reviews, with
links to the full review, covering just a few of Buhle's large and
diverse body of work. We urge everyone to check out his stuff.

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/Reviews/Buhle030304.html> :
http://lefthook.org/Reviews/Buhle030304.html