[Marxism] New Statesman: Overrepresented US soldiers are White Southerner...

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Wed Mar 3 19:08:29 MST 2004

In a message dated 3/3/2004 7:30:27 PM Central Standard Time,
junaidalam at msalam.net writes:

>Geography is the reason. Since the draft was abolished in 1973 in the
United States, the percentage of recruits to the military from the south
and west of the country has risen, while the proportion of soldiers from
the north and north-east has declined. Between 1985 and 2001, according
to the defence department, the percentage of all recruits from the south
rose from 34 per cent to 42 per cent. Meanwhile, recruitment from the
north-east, as a percentage of the whole, has dropped from 22 per cent
in 1977 to less than 14 per cent in 2001.<

Comment - not a reply

"Geography is the reason." What the hell does that mean? Stop playing. It is
more complex. Geography means the national colonial question, when anyone
talks about the North South axis in the American Union.

The data is good and I am not "dogging." Read the historical literature and
stop playing.

I do not dispute anyone's abolitionist credentials. We are abolitionist on
the side of the proletariat.

imperial invasion force of the Philippines after the turn of the century. No matter
what the composition of the imperial strike force the cutting edge is the
troops from the South and deep South. The areas where white chauvinism is
institutionalized historically.

Not the areas where the African Americans were criminalized historically.

This is why the rebellion of Belle - demanding that her man be brought home
from Iraq, is significant.

Melvin P.