[Marxism] Jeff Sommers article on Haiti

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Mar 4 07:50:46 MST 2004

In my critique of Conn Hallinan's Counterpunch article defending liberal
interventionism, I alluded to a telegram of an Admiral Caperton who
urged that the Marines be sent into Haiti on the basis that "Such action
now imperative Port au Prince if United States desires to negotiate
treaty for financial control Haiti." Subsequently I got a pdf version of
an article titled "Haiti and the Hemispheric Imperative to Invest: The
Bulletin of the Pan American Union" that appeared in the Journal of
Haitian Studies by Jeff Sommers that provides a fascinating account of
that sordid period. I got his permission to put it online at:

http://www.marxmail.org/sommershaiti.pdf

Here is the opening paragraph:

The African-American diplomat, activist, and artist James Weldon Johnson
declared in 1915 that "while Mr. Bailly-Blanchard, with the title of
minister, is [Haiti's] representative in name, Mr. Farnham is its
representative in fact."1 Roger Farnham was an NYC investment banker
with significant investments in Haiti, while Blanchard was the U.S.
Government's man in Haiti. Johnson recognized the simple question that
we routinely ignore even today when examining empire--either in its
historical or contemporary dimensions. Implicit in Johnson's observation
is his understanding of what constitutes "the state." Many years later
Marxist theorists such as Antonio Gramsci and Louis Althusser developed
theories revealing the state was not merely the government but instead
those exercising power, whether in the public or private spheres. Both
then and now this analysis is too often lacking when examining the
course of American empire.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org