[Marxism] US Ganster Regime Smirks, Slaps Baton in Hand, post-Haiti

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Thu Mar 4 18:15:21 MST 2004

Read between the lines. What a gem. And take special note of the last
sentence - prepositional phrase slip or Freudian slip?
===
US Says Aristide Exit a Lesson for Failed Leaders
Thu Mar 4, 2004 06:22 PM ET
Printer Friendly |  Email Article |  Purchase for Reprint

Top News
	Sept. 11 Families Outraged by Bush Campaign Ad
	Bush Admin 'Concerned' About Gasoline Prices
	U.S. Probe Spots 9 Terror Suspects in Merchant Marine
MORE

By Saul Hudson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Thursday rejected pressure
for an investigation into whether it pushed former Haitian President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide to resign and said it would not prop up "failed"
elected leaders.

After days of criticism that Aristide was ousted in a U.S.-assisted
coup, the Bush administration's new defense of his "rescue" stoked fears
its Haiti policy set a precedent for other leftists in Latin America,
such as Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said that even if the United
States "recognized a leader had been elected," he could not rely on U.S.
support against an armed revolt if America considered he had misgoverned.

"We can't be called upon, expected or required to intervene every time
there is violence against a failed leader," Boucher told reporters. "We
can't spend our time running around the world and the hemisphere saving
people who botched their chance at leadership."

"I do not think that's something the American government and the
American people want, nor do I think it's ultimately good for democracy
in the hemisphere," he said.

The new U.S. defense shifted from denying it forced Aristide out to
explaining why the administration allowed him to fall as rebels were
closing in on the capital.

Washington blamed the crisis on Aristide, whom it restored to power a
decade ago with an invasion. After failing to mediate a settlement with
the opposition, the United States rejected his pleas for police
reinforcements, questioned his ability to govern and finally warned him
U.S. Marines sent to Haiti would not protect him.

KIDNAP OR RESCUE?

On Thursday, South Africa joined Caribbean nations as well as black
activists and Democrats in calling for an investigation into how the
United States flew Aristide to exile in Africa early on Sunday in what
he has called a kidnapping.

"We certainly don't encourage or believe there is any need for an
investigation," Boucher said. "We ended up rescuing him by taking him
out of the country in the face of almost certain violence."

Larry Birns, of the Washington-based Council on Hemispheric Affairs,
blamed the Bush administration for Aristide's exit. With a tilt to the
left in Latin America in recent years, he worried it would encourage
right-wing U.S. officials to go after leaders such as Chavez.

"Haiti was not about a flawed president but about a flawed (U.S.)
foreign policy," said the director of the liberal think tank. "The Haiti
pattern shows this administration is capable of anything. It will have
an enormous negative reaction throughout Latin America and Chavez has
cause to lose sleep."

U.S. officials have struggled this week to stave off concerns Chavez
could meet Aristide's fate. In 2002, the Bush administration initially
appeared to welcome a short-lived coup against the friend of Cuban
leader Fidel Castro and has persistently criticized him while backing
opposition demands for a recall vote against him.

Boucher singled out Venezuela as an example of how Washington has
supported democracy in the region. "We've stood up *for* threats to
democracy in Venezuela, whatever side they might be coming from," he said.