[Marxism] RE: Explosion in Iraq Mosque

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Sat Mar 6 21:41:12 MST 2004

> Calvin Broadbent wrote:

>Do you
> believe it was so-called Sunni fundmentalists that blew up the mosque?
Or do
> you still think it was al Qaeda? I still don't see the logic in either
of
> these groups having carried out the atrocity. I suppose time will tell
who
> the likely culprits were (or presumably that's what the silent list
majority
> are thinking).
I'm one of the silent majority thinking that way too.

I don't think there really is a central directing organization called
al-Qaeda anymore than there was an anarchist international at the turn
of the last century -- it's an idea and an inspiration for scattered,
loosely coordinated groups of religious fundamentalists, mostly Sunni.
Bin Laden's group used to run training camps and provide funding and
influenced the Taliban government, but it's a band of fugitives now.

Marv Gandall