[Marxism] Rick Wilhelm on John Kerry

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Mar 7 04:13:14 MST 2004

*****   Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:01:02 -0800
From: Rick Wilhelm
Subject: [C-JwJ] Strategy
To: columbuslabor at topica.com

**Columbus Jobs with Justice Calendar**
To post: send to columbuslabor at topica.com
According to research, it appears to me Kerry is a far-right
candidate.  Although many comments have said he has a "liberal"
record, I see no evidence is offered other than the fact on small
issues he has better votes than the Republicans, according to some
liberal groups.  According to key issues, here, he does not:
<http://dsco1.tripod.com/issues.htm>, taken from the archives of the
same liberal groups offered by some as proof he has a good record.

As a matter of fact, Kerry is so bad, it could be argued he was the
"greater evil," between Bush and Kerry.  Bush's personality is one of
pompous privilege, where Kerry's is one of arrogant privilege.
According to this article and others,
<http://www.counterpunch.org/hand02182004.html>.  Kerry believes in
Internationalism and International Intervention in the name of
maintaining our Empire, and has even wrote about it as an imperative
goal.  This article reveals a little about Kerry's personality:
<http://www.counterpunch.org/cranmer03042004.html>.

Why could it be argued Kerry may in fact be a "greater evil" than
Bush?  Because he is smarter, and since he also believes in military
action to preserve our "values," he may be more successful than Bush
in implementing the policy of force of Empire.  The policy looks as
though it will fail under Bush, because of its transparency and
stupidity.  And foreign policy has been offered as one reason we
should support Kerry, since their domestic agendas are so similar.
Kerry voted for the war, welfare reform, the Patriot Act, the China
Trade Bill (H.R. 4444), NAFTA, Fast Track and GATT.

Of course Kerry is on record of supporting a minimum wage increase to
6 dollars and 15 cents an hour, while Bush is not.  That is still
about 2 dollars and 75 cents less than what the minimum wage would be
had it kept up with inflation, since in 2002 it would have been 8.70
cents per hour.  I assume 2004 is slightly higher. See:
<http://dsco1.tripod.com/news.htm#Why%20a%20LIVING%20WAGE>. And it is
no guarantee Kerry would actually keep his word about even the small
increase to $6.15.  But by voting for just things, his "record"
appears better, since the AFL-CIO give him the same credit for small
stuff as key issues.

So I feel any strategy should be to attack both candidates, and
attack them now, and keep attacking repeatedly and continually.  The
same should be done as far as sell-out Democratic Council members and
the Mayor of Columbus.  I actually sat through a meeting a year or so
ago organized by JwJ where one council member suggested the Chamber
of Commerce should be on any "Living Wage" board.

Rick Wilhelm
Columbus Jobs with Justice organizes this list but does not
necessarily endorse all events or postings.
Contact Columbus JwJ: c/o UFCW 1059
4150 E. Main St., 2nd Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
Phone: 614-237-8440