[Marxism] RE: Explosion in Iraq Mosque

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 7 07:21:22 MST 2004

>Message: 6
>Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 23:41:12 -0500
>From: "Marvin Gandall" <marvgandall at rogers.com>
>Subject: Re: [Marxism] RE: Explosion in Iraq Mosque
>To: "Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition"
>	<marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
>
> > Calvin Broadbent wrote:
>
> >Do you
> > believe it was so-called Sunni fundmentalists that blew up the mosque?
>Or do
> > you still think it was al Qaeda? I still don't see the logic in either
>of
> > these groups having carried out the atrocity. I suppose time will tell
>who
> > the likely culprits were (or presumably that's what the silent list
>majority
> > are thinking).
>---------------------------------------
>I'm one of the silent majority thinking that way too.
>
>I don't think there really is a central directing organization called
>al-Qaeda anymore than there was an anarchist international at the turn
>of the last century -- it's an idea and an inspiration for scattered,
>loosely coordinated groups of religious fundamentalists, mostly Sunni.
>Bin Laden's group used to run training camps and provide funding and
>influenced the Taliban government, but it's a band of fugitives now.
>
>Marv Gandall

Hi Marv,
if al Qaeda is mostly composed of Sunni fundamentalists, why did Saddam
Hussein have less than nothing to do with al Qaeda? Do you have any sources
to back up your claims about the religious composition of al Qaeda? As al
Qaeda have denied the attack and I still don't see why they would enrage
muslims in Iraq by commiting the grossest sacrilege, I, like many Shi'a
clerics, tend to think the act was perpetrated by agent provocateurs, and
probably designed to increase the process of religious politicisation in the
face of the threat of a a real secular Shi'a (and Sunni) politics.
cheers