[Marxism] IAC: HAITI ACTION ALERT: Aristide Under Lock & Key, U.S. Delegation Says

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 7 15:43:59 MST 2004

To:             	info at internationalanswer.org
From:           	"International A.N.S.W.E.R." <nowardc at yahoo.com>
Date sent:      	Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:20:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject:        	[SCcampaign] HAITI ACTION ALERT: Aristide Under Lock & Key, U.S. Delegation Says
Send reply to:  	SCcampaign at yahoogroups.com

HAITI ACTION ALERT:
Aristide Under Lock & Key, U.S. Delegation Says

*take action to get the word out*

Dear friends,

We would like to encourage you help circulate the
following press release on breaking news regarding the
status of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide,
who is being held virtually incommunicado on the
instructions of U.S. authorities. We have established
an easy-to-use system that will allow you to send the
press release to the local and national media of your
choice. This system also will allow you to send a
brief customized message, if you would like, to the
media outlet(s) you choose. By working together around
the country, we can encourage and/or pressure the
media to pursue this story.

Thousands of people in Haiti have risked life and limb
in recent days to demonstrate in Port-au-Prince in
support of the return of the democratically elected
president of Haiti and in opposition to the U.S. coup
d'etat and occupation. Take a few moments to help
circulate this press release to show solidarity with
the Haitian people.

Below is the press release, entitled "Aristide Under
Lock & Key, U.S. Delegation Says." Below the press
release is the link for the easy-to-use system that
allows you to send out this press release to the media
outlets of your choice.

ARISTIDE UNDER LOCK & KEY,
U.S. DELEGATION SAYS

March 7, 2004

A delegation from the United States has arrived in the
Central African Republic to meet with overthrown
Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide. President
Aristide was taken involuntarily to the Central
African Republic following a U.S. coup d'etat on
February 28. The group was granted visas on Thursday
and Friday and departed the United States on Friday
evening.

The delegation includes Kim Ives from the Haiti
Support Network, and Johnnie Stevens and Sara
Flounders from the International Action Center. Ives,
Flounders and Stevens are representing former U.S.
Attorney General Ramsey Clark. Also on the delegation
are Brian Concannon, acting in the capacity of
President Aristide's lawyer; and Katherine Kean, a
friend of President Aristide.

Kim Ives, a personal friend of Jean-Bertrand and
Mildred Aristide, said "This morning, the delegation
went to the Palace of the Renaissance, the
presidential compound where President Aristide is
being held." Mr. Ives had spoken to the Foreign
Minister on Thursday to inform him that the delegation
was coming to the Central African Republic to meet
with President Aristide.

"We were stopped at the gates by a guard who contacted
a Central African Republic official inside the
building. A representative of the Central African
Republic came out to speak with us," Ives reported.
"We asked to go in to visit President Aristide and
were told we could not. We asked if he could come out
to see us, and we were told no. We asked if we could
send in a note or our phone number, and we were told
no. The official then told us that he had spoken with
the Minister of Defense and that Aristide was not
allowed to receive visitors."

Mr. Ives also reported that he placed a call to the
cell phone that the Aristides have been using to place
calls to their friends, attorneys and the media.
"Mildred Aristide answered the phone. I said, 'Hello
Mildred, this is Kim Ives, we are here.' At that
point, the phone line went dead. We have tried to call
many times since then but there has been no answer."

Brian Concannon is also a member of the delegation,
acting in the capacity of President Aristide's
attorney. Standing outside the gates of the compound
where President Aristide is being held, Mr. Concannon
requested to meet with President Aristide alone for a
consultation. This was also denied.

"The world has been told that President Aristide is
free to come and go, and that he has simply chosen not
to leave," said Sara Flounders of the International
Action Center. "The fact that our delegation has been
denied all forms of contact with President Aristide
confirms, in fact, that he is being kept under lock
and key, at this point not even able to communicate by
phone."

"The U.S. and French governments chose to take
Aristide to the Central African Republic, a formerly
colonized and impoverished country," said Johnnie
Stevens of the International Action Center. "The
Central African Republic, similar to many formerly
colonized countries in Africa and around the world,
has been isolated and underdeveloped because of the
past policies of France, the U.S. and other colonial
and neo-colonial powers. The U.S. and France should be
paying reparations to the Central African Republic."

* * * * *

HELP CIRCULATE THIS PRESS RELEASE TO SHOW SOLIDARITY
WITH THE HAITIAN PEOPLE

Click on the following link to send an e-mail to your
local and national media outlets urging them to cover
this important story:
http://www.capwiz.com/votenowar/issues/alert/?alertid=5296001&type=ME

After you click on the link, simply follow the
easy-to-understand instructions. You will first enter
your zip code and press "go." You will be taken to a
list of media outlets. You can select the media
outlets you want to send to and then choose "compose a
message." You can then add your customized message (if
you would like) and send the email.

---------------------------

Email circulated by:
A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition
Act Now to Stop War & End Racism

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
http://www.InternationalANSWER.org
info at internationalanswer.org
Washington 202-544-3389
New York 212-633-6646
Los Angeles 213-487-2368
San Francisco 415-821-6545

Sign up to receive updates (low volume):
http://www.internationalanswer.org/subscribelist.html

To make a tax-deductible donation, go to
http://www.internationalanswer.org/donate.html