[Marxism] More on Bush and Texas Air National Guard

jak barns fukdetrn at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 12:12:23 MST 2004

I went into the Army during that period. There was on the average an 18 month waiting period for the Reserves and Guard. To qualify as a pilot, required roughly 18 months training as an Aviation Officer Candidate. Bush seems to have done that, from late '68-early '70. As I recall for the Air Force, Basic training was required before Aviation Officer Candidate, or Officer Training School. Bush appears not to have done that.If he was commissioned before that, rules were broken.  What I don't remember is whether someone could qualify as a pilot without doing a full active duty stint. What is clear is that Bush jumped over the waiting list, was excused from Basic training, and jumped over others for flight training who were more qualified than himself. He got the lowest score possible, and still passed. Kind of like getting a 70% in school. Lots of favortism.

lshan at bcn.net wrote:There are thousands of claims regarding Bush's behavior in staying out of
active-duty service. But they all seem to be based on the following article.
And it clarifies several issues.

On many web sites, a figure of 100,000 is asserted for those on the waiting
list for the Texas Air National Guard. However, this is a total nationwide
figure for those waiting to join the National Guard. And it also appears
that there were 150 on the waiting list for Bush's unit, not 500 as cited by
many.

Most intriguing to me was his appointment as an officer without going to
Officer Candidate School (OCS). OCS requires an active-duty status. It is
clear that only with this direct appointment was Bush able to avoid active
duty. Otherwise he would have had to attend Officer Candidate School as
Kerry did and as Clinton initially thought that he would have to. In other
words, not only is the direct appointment extraordinary, it enabled him to
be an officer (possibly the only one in the nation) without ever serving as
an active-duty officer.

Perhaps there were others. I would like to find out whether the sons of U.S.
senators John Tower and Lloyd Bentsen III, with whom he served in the Air
Guard unit at Ellington Air Force Base, were enlisted men or officers and if
officers whether they also got "direct appointments."

from Brian Shannon
________________

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/06/05_moore.html
Bottom Gun: Presidential Draft Dodger George W. Bush

BUZZFLASH SPECIAL GUEST COMMENTARY
By James C. Moore, co-author of "Bush's Brain: How Karl Rove Made George
W.Bush Presidential"

President George W. Bush is a draft dodger. And his cowardice is the worst
kind. Mr. Bush avoided both combat and making any kind of political
statement on the War in Vietnam. While others served, giving their lives and
limbs, or took part in a protest movement to end the war, the president's
family connections got him a safe spot in the Texas Air National Guard. This
is not the profile of a leader.

In 1994, during his first run for Governor of Texas, I was a panelist on a
televised debate between Mr. Bush and Ann Richards. I was the first person
in his life to ask him how he got into the National Guard so easily when
there were more than 100,000 young men on waiting lists around the country.
Mr. Bush said there was a shortage of pilots and he was willing to make the
six year training commitment that others were not.

That is not true. There was no shortage. And when he got one of the coveted
spots, Mr. Bush failed to honor his commitment.

Sgt. Donald Barnhart of the Texas Guard said there was a waiting list of 150
names for Bush's unit and a minimum of 18 months passed before an applicant
was moved to the top. Historian for the Texas Air National Guard, Tom Hall,
reported Bush's Houston air wing was authorized for 29 pilots and had 27.
But two replacements were already in training and another pilot was awaiting
transfer. There was no shortage.

But there were family connections.

In a deposition for an unrelated lawsuit, former Texas House Speaker Ben
Barnes said he took a call from Bush family friend Sid Adger, a Houston
businessman, asking for the favor of moving Bush up on the Guard's waiting
list. Barnes said he called General James Rose, commanding officer of the
Guard, and the request was granted. Adger was one of former President Bush's
oldest and closest friends. A spokesman said the first President Bush
"loved" Mr. Adger.

The son of then Congressman George H. W. Bush joined an Air Guard unit at
Ellington Air Force Base where he served with the son of U.S. Senator John
Tower and Lloyd Bentsen III, also a Texas senator's son.

Immediately after basic training, Bush got a direct appointment to Second
Lieutenant, circumventing a rigorous qualification process, which normally
involved Officer Candidate School. Charles Shoemake, who retired from the
Texas Guard as a full colonel, said such appointments were rare, hard to
get, and required extensive credentials. "I went from master sergeant to
first lieutenant based on my three years in college and 15 years as a
non-commissioned officer," he said. "Then I got considered for a direct
appointment."

[Continues with further Bush derelictions. I consider his feasances more
important than his malfeasances. --Brian]