[Marxism] Jobs, machines and vampires

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Mar 9 14:40:16 MST 2004

From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>

"Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living
labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks."

Karl Marx, Capital, vol. 1, ch. 10

---

-clip-

Andreessen said, is that a data center needs one human handler, or system
administrator, for every 20 machines. With Opsware's software, that ratio
can be sharply reduced, to one person for 50 to 150 computers.

In computer data centers, technology - from start-ups like Opsware and big
companies like I.B.M. and Hewlett-Packard - is increasingly being
substituted for human labor, much as that process has unfolded for decades
on factory floors.

"It's very analogous to manufacturing," Mr. Andreessen said.

Such cost savings increase productivity as companies generate more goods and
services with fewer workers. And the technology business in general is quite
productive, and that seems to be particularly so in the industry's heartland
of Silicon Valley.

^^^^^^^^

CB: The working class' party is developing a computer that can own
companies, and make capitalists obsolete.  We're naming it "anti-Hayek" ,
for spite.