[Marxism] A tactical debate

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 10 12:03:48 MST 2004

Marvin Gandall wrote:
> The differences – though tactical – are not inconsequential; Kerry, for
> opportunistic electoral reasons and despite his misgivings, voted to
> give Bush the authority to invade Iraq (as he earlier voted for Reagan’s
> invasion of Grenada), but it is almost certainly true, as he maintains,
> that he would not as President have initiated action against Iraq
> without European support and reliable evidence of WMD.

This is an interesting question. Kerry insists that he voted for the war
because he was misled. He based his vote on the "documentation"
furnished by the CIA. If he has stated somewhere that he would have
voted differently if he knew back then what he knows now (as even Colin
Powell implied the other week), I haven't heard it.

Newsday (New York)
February 9, 2004 Monday
VIEWPOINTS

Kerry, Too, Needs to Clear the Air

BYLINE: By Scott Ritter. Scott Ritter, former UN chief inspector in
Iraq, 1991-1998, is the author of "Frontier Justice: Weapons of Mass
Destruction and the Bushwhacking of America."

On April 23, 1971, a 27-year-old Navy veteran named John Kerry sat
before the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee and chided members on their
leadership failures regarding the war in Vietnam.

"Where is the leadership?" Kerry, a decorated hero who had proved his
courage under fire, demanded of the senators. "Where are they now that
we, the men they sent off to war, have returned?" Kerry lambasted those
who had pushed so strongly for war in Vietnam. "These men have left all
the casualties and retreated behind a pious shield of public rectitude."

Today, on the issue of the war in Iraq, it is John Kerry who is all
pious rectitude.

"I think the administration owes the entire country a full explanation
on this war - not just their exaggerations but on the failure of
American intelligence," Kerry said following the stunning announcement
by David Kay, the Bush administration's former lead investigator in
Iraq, that "we were all wrong" about the existence of weapons of mass
destruction in that country. The problem for Sen. Kerry, of course, is
that he, too, is culpable in the massive breach of public trust that has
come to light regarding Iraq, WMD and the rush to war.

Almost 30 years after his appearance before the Senate, Sen. Kerry was
given the opportunity to make good on his promises that he had learned
the lessons of Vietnam. During a visit to Washington in April 2000, when
I lobbied senators and representatives for a full review of American
policy regarding Iraq, I spoke with John Kerry about what I held to be
the hyped-up intelligence regarding the threat posed by Iraq's WMD. "Put
it in writing," Kerry told me, "and send it to me so I can review what
you're saying in detail."

I did just that, penning a comprehensive article for Arms Control Today,
the journal of the Arms Control Association, on the "Case for the
Qualitative Disarmament of Iraq." This article, published in June 2000,
provided a detailed breakdown of Iraq's WMD capability and made a
comprehensive case that Iraq did not pose an imminent threat. I asked
the Arms Control Association to send several copies to Sen. Kerry's
office but, just to make sure, I sent him one myself. I never heard back
from the senator.

Two years later, in the buildup toward war that took place in the summer
of 2002, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, on which Kerry sits,
convened a hearing on Iraq. At that hearing a parade of witnesses
appeared, testifying to the existence of WMD in Iraq. Featured
prominently was Khidir Hamza, the self-proclaimed "bombmaker to Saddam,"
who gave stirring first-hand testimony to the existence of not only
nuclear weapons capability, but also chemical and biological weapons as
well. Every word of Hamza's testimony has since been proved false.
Despite receiving thousands of phone calls, letters and e-mails
demanding that dissenting expert opinion, including my own, be aired at
the hearing, Sen. Kerry apparently did nothing, allowing a sham hearing
to conclude with the finding that there was "no doubt" Saddam Hussein
had WMD.

Sen. Kerry followed up this performance in October 2002 by voting for
the war in Iraq. Today he justifies that vote by noting that he only
approved the "threat of war," and that the blame for Iraq rests with
President George W. Bush, who failed to assemble adequate international
support for the war. But this explanation rings hollow in the face of
David Kay's findings that there are no WMD in Iraq. With the stated
casus belli shown to be false, John Kerry needs to better explain his
role not only in propelling our nation into a war that is rapidly
devolving into a quagmire, but more importantly, his perpetuation of the
falsehoods that got us there to begin with.

President Bush should rightly be held accountable for what increasingly
appears to be deliberately misleading statements made by him and members
of his administration regarding the threat posed by Iraq's WMD. If such
deception took place, then Bush no longer deserves the trust and
confidence of the American people.

But John Kerry seems to share in this culpability, and if he wants to be
the next president of the United States, he must first convince the
American people that his actions somehow differ from those of the man he
seeks to replace.

"Where is the leadership?" John Kerry asked more than 30 years ago,
questioning a war that consumed life, money and national honor. Today
this question still hangs in the air, haunting a former Navy combat
veteran who needs to convince a skeptical nation that he not only has a
plan to get America out of Iraq, but also possesses the leadership
skills needed to avoid future ill-advised adventures.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org