[Marxism] DO NOT OPEN "ATTACHMENTS" FROM MY EMAIL ADDRESS

Chris Brady cdbrady at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 11 20:56:36 MST 2004

hi.

Do not open attachments from my e-mail address.  It seems my e-mail
address <cdbrady at sbcglobal.net> may have been swiped from someone's
address book and used as a false return address to send out viruses or
worms.  Those messages are not from me.  I do not send Attachments with
my e-mails UNLESS I forewarn my interlocutors in a previous e-mail to
look for a subsequent e-mail with a specific Attachment WITH a specific
name.

I have actually received an e-mail ostensibly from myself, i.e., with my
e-mail address listed as the sender, that I did not send.  (I don't
usually e-mail myself--as far as I know! [joke.]).  One of the tipoffs
is the syntax of the Subject line.  They read as if written by a
non-English-as-a-first-language speaker.

I suspect the infector took an address list from someone who
participates in one of the discussion groups I periodically bless with
sage and weighty contributions.  People from all over the globe get
involved with these groups, including from countries where some other
people hate different perspectives on things.

Whatever.  There's a simple solution.  As we said when I was in the
restaurant biz: "When in doubt, throw it out."  You can read an e-mail
without getting infected, but never open a suspicious Attachment.
Delete it, and empty your Trash.

Love & Peace,
--c