[Marxism] Re: Bombs in Madrid

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sat Mar 13 19:19:16 MST 2004

I listened to a British expert on this just after the story broke, and he
argued that ETA worked for the conservatives because they had made that
their particular "cause".  They had attacked ETA as a force which
threatened national unity  Presumably there are echoes here of the Spanish
Civil war, as a means of rallying the right.

It is much more difficult to rally the right and the nation around
Al-Qaida, because they have become a threat directly in relation to the
subservience of the Spanish Govt to American interests.  So in terms of
right wing thought, if Aznar had been more of a nationalist he would not
have grovelled to Bush so much and thus made Al Qaida into a threat.

Much the same arguments apply in the case of Australia, I think.

regards

Gary