[Marxism] Frank Furedi on his infantilised 8 year old son

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Mar 15 13:09:41 MST 2004

The politics of the lonely crowd

by Frank Furedi, spiked-online.com

The other day my eight-year-old son came home, took off his jacket and
announced 'Daddy, I really hate Bush!' Until that point, this child had
strong views on the subject of football (which he loves), school dinners
(which he dislikes) and mobile phones (which he desperately desires).
But this was his first statement of political preference. Why did he
feel so strongly about the American president? 'Because he's so stupid',
my son replied.

As a proud father, I would like to boast that my young son and his
classmates have developed a precocious interest in political affairs.
Unfortunately, that is not the case. Children are no more curious about
political life than their elders. Rather, political life in the Western
world has become so infantilised that even eight-year-olds can share its
brilliant insights.

In their conviction that George W Bush is mentally deficient, children
have embraced the wisdom peddled by best-selling cynic Michael Moore,
sophisticated media commentators from both sides of the Atlantic, and
hundreds of thousands of anti-Bush protesters. Hating the stupid US
president was sufficient to mobilise large crowds of people during his
recent visit to London. In the USA, demonstrating how much you hate Bush
has animated discussion during the Democratic Party primary elections.
Howard Dean, who has perfected the art of being very angry, managed to
mobilise tens of thousands of young people to join his vociferous
campaign - before it failed.

full: http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CA449.htm

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org