[Marxism] Cuba's Fidel Castro warmly salutes Spain's president-elect

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 16 12:34:10 MST 2004

(Cuba's Fidel Castro warmly salutes Spain's president-elect
and politely reminds him that since the other soldiers of
other Latin American nations are in Iraq and operating
under Spanish command, Spain is responsible for their
lives, or any deaths which might occur. Therefore, Spain's
new leader doesn't need to wait until June 30th to withdraw
his nation's troops out of occupied Iraq.

(Fidel Castro is a diplomat, if anyone in the world can be
called one. This letter is also important enough that the
Wall Street Journal has posted the AP report on the letter
to the WSJ site. The situation in Spain is very volatile
and therefore Fidel's message, which will no doubt be very
widely circulated in Spain, and through the world where
Spanish is spoken, will certainly fall on receptive ears
everywhere. He's in tune with the overwhelming majority
of the Spanish public on this matter.)

GRANMA INTERNATIONAL
Havana. March, 16 2004
ENGLISH:
http://www.granma.cu/ingles/2004/marzo/mar16/mensaje.html
SPANISH:
http://www.granma.cu/espanol/2004/marzo/mar16/mensaje.html
FRONT PAGE OF THE DAILY GRANMA:
http://www.granma.cubaweb.cu/2004/03/16/plana.jpg

Message from the President of the Councils of State and
Ministers of the Republic of Cuba to the distinguished Mr.
José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero on the occasion of his
election as President of the Spanish government

Distinguished Mr. José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero:

The Spanish people, decidedly opposed to the cruel and
unjust war of conquest in Iraq, likewise opposed by
yourself, and outraged by the crude electoral manipulation
of the unjustifiable terrorist aggression suffered on March
11, has decided to entrust you with the leadership of the
Spanish government. On the occasion of this important
event, which will have repercussions in the international
sphere, we express to you our recognition.

I would also like to extend, and in a special way, our most
profound admiration and a tribute of respect to the people
of Spain for their nobility and heroism, demonstrated so
many times throughout history.

I congratulate you on your decision to withdraw the Spanish
troops from Iraq by June 30.

Bearing in mind this decision, I beg you not to forget
that, by virtue of actions and pressures on the part of Mr.
Aznar as president of the government of Spain, more than
1,000 young men from small and impoverished Latin American
nations were sent as cannon fodder to Iraq under the
command of the Spanish Legion. Thus, the possible death of
any of those young people is the responsibility of the
Spanish state.

The peoples of Latin America thus have the right to expect
the immediate return of those young people. They do not
have a duty to wait until June 30. The death of any one of
those young Salvadorans, Hondurans, Dominicans and
Nicaraguans would be doubly sad if, being immediately
preventable, it is not prevented, given that the political
responsibility of the principal author of that measure has
been swept away by the Spanish people. The world, and
particularly the peoples of our hemisphere, would greatly
appreciate anything that you are able to do before assuming
the presidency in order to avoid any more Latin American
lives being added to those lost in the unjustifiable
holocaust that took place in Madrid on March 11.

I hope that you understand the spirit of this message and
transmit to you my most sincere sentiments of respect and
consideration.

Fidel Castro Ruz
Havana, March 15, 2004