[Marxism] Malcolm X, the Militant and Aristide

Steve Gabosch bebop101 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 14:46:56 MST 2004

Louis quotes a passage in the March 22 Militant that repeats without
qualification a story told by a US diplomat, Luis Moreno, regarding how
Aristide supposedly resigned and left Haiti.  Walter also complained about
this passage.  From the point of view of revolutionary journalism, I agree
that the Militant was careless in the way they presented this story.  In my
opinion, it would have been better in this case to have indicated the
source of the information, and to have warned the reader that this story
was coming from an untrustworthy person, an official of the US
government.  Perhaps this passage should have just been left out.  Luis
Moreno could indeed have been lying, as the unnamed security guard
claims.  The Militant appears to have made an error in not anticipating
this.  My take on this is that the Militant has to continue to be vigilant
in making sure its reporting remains factual and its sources clear.  The
Militant does slip now and then, and this is appears to be an example.

However, the kinds of conclusions that Louis and Walter draw regarding the
adaptation of the Militant to imperialism from their reading of this
perhaps too-hastily written passage are unfounded.  In the same issue of
the Militant, an editorial explains the Militant's political position
regarding the Aristide regime.  It points out that whether Aristide was was
forced or he resigned is not the essential issue.  As the Militant
explains, U.S. imperialism does not belong in Haiti at all, and the
overthrow of the elected Aristide government is a blow to working
people.  At the same time, the Militant explains that the Aristide regime
was an ally of imperialism against the Haitian working people.

I believe this is the kind of revolutionary position that Malcolm X found
in the Militant that caused him to call the Militant newspaper "one of the
best anywhere."

Some relevant quotes from the March 22 Militant:

"Today, liberal supporters of Aristide in the United States­including
Democratic politicians, who were the most aggressive in campaigning for
another U.S. invasion of Haiti, all in the name of defending the former
president­complain that he was “kidnapped” by Washington. But whether he
was physically forced into exile or he handed a resignation letter to U.S.
officials before getting on the plane does not change the more important
fact that from the beginning his administration was totally subordinate to
U.S. imperialism."

"The overthrow of the elected government of Haiti by rightist forces is a
blow to working people. Today the wealthy rulers of the United States,
along with those of France and Canada, have deployed troops to Haiti to
patch together a government that can reliably protect imperialist interests
there."

"Working people in the United States and around the world should join with
our Haitian brothers and sisters in demanding:
U.S., French, and Canadian troops out of Haiti now!
Cancel Haiti’s foreign debt to the imperialist bankers!
Stop the U.S. government’s arrests and detentions of Haitian immigrants and
refugees!"

- Steve Gabosch