[Marxism] private property now protected by theChineseconstitution

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Tue Mar 16 14:57:40 MST 2004

On the Cultural Revolution in China, Jim Craven writes, "it seems that
during the Cultural Revolution, in many cases punishment and reeducation
were likely to have been too harsh on some, but were decidedly not harsh
or decisive enough on others."

To expand this question of leniency in reeducation, we should ask if the
problem was with those doing the reeducating themselves.  My impression
is that, pretty much by definition, the current courtship of foreign
investors is not the work of survivors of the Cultural Revolution and
their successors so much as the administrators of the Cultural
Revolution and their successors in the hierarchy.

In the organizations of nations or groups of any sort (especially the
workplace), those in charge of things often act on a logic of their own
that centers on preservation of the hierarchy...the specific ideological
justifications don't matter.  The Catholic Church survived antiquity,
feudalism, capitalism and communism.  My employing institution was
founded by a hierarchy explicitly embracing the principle of racial
exclusion, but it now sings different words to the same old tune...and
it will change again when inspired by self-interest.  On an individual
level, how many good Prussian functionaries became Nazis, then
"democrats" or "communist" depending on what side of the partition they
landed?

Solidarity!
Mark L.