[Marxism] Keeping up with THE MILITANT in the new millenium

Steve Gabosch bebop101 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 02:05:43 MST 2004

Walter,

The March 1st Militant had a brief mention of Jon's memorial meeting.

Los Angeles forum: End U.S.
restrictions on travel to Cuba!
  BY LAUREN HART

LOS ANGELES­More than 100 people turned out here to defend the right to
travel at a January 30 program sponsored by the Los Angeles Coalition in
Solidarity with Cuba. A panel of a dozen speakers condemned Washington’s
longstanding restrictions on travel to Cuba and its recent tightening of
them, as well as the prosecution of individuals who have visited the
Caribbean island.

The meeting also honored Jon Hillson, who died unexpectedly the day before.
Hillson, a co-chair of the coalition, had been centrally responsible for
organizing the meeting. Messages recalling Hillson’s work in solidarity
with Cuba were read to the meeting.

Samuel Altamirano and Oriel Maria Siu, members of the steering committee
organizing a youth seminar that will take place in Cuba March 26-April 4,
co-chaired the meeting. “Our focus tonight is to speak out on travel to
Cuba,” Siu said in introducing the program.

<snip>

- Steve

Hillson's memorial meeting was announced February 4, but