[Marxism] Re: Spain rejects Kerry's request to keep troops in Iraq,

David Walters dwalters at marxists.org
Fri Mar 19 11:28:43 MST 2004

Walter wrote:
"(Fidel Castro, however, isn't approaching him
in that spirit, as shown in his greeting:
http://www.granma.cu/ingles/2004/marzo/mar16/mensaje.html"

Walter, this simply is mindless chasing of Fidel. What Fidel does as
head of state vis-a-vis Cuban and the capitalist world is his business
but it certainty isn't a guide for anyone outside of Cuba to do. If he
in the 198080s endorsed Jesse Jackson for President, would you start
wearing Jess for Prez pins? CISPES did just this after the FDR came to
the US and expressed their desire for CISPES to campaign for Jackson.

Our view here has to be from the point of view of analyzing the PSOE
victory in Spain from OUR point of view here, what it means for the
Spanish working class there and internationally, Fidel's views
notwithstanding, or rather, as one factor in what happened, but only
one.

That the previous PSOE gov't was as anti-working class as the
subsequent PP gov't is well known by Marxists of all stripes in Spain.
That PSOE policies implemented by the gov't then helped pave the way
both for the PP's hardline anti-terror provisions, PSOE initiation of
privatization of industry and social-services and other capitalist
schemes that raised unemployment and lowered their standard of living
is something that the Spanish people considered *some* when they voted
for the PSOE in spite of their record.

Our attitude, I would think, would be that the Spanish people ought to
hold the new Prime Minister's nose to the fire until he follows through
on his promise to withdraw troops from Spain.  I would hope that the
Spanish anti-war movement would also oppose...strongly...the same Prime
Minister's backdoor to US imperialism by supporting his troops staying
in Iraq if the UN took over.

David