[Marxism] Gays: Tolerable (In All Kinds Of Ways)

Jeff Rubard jeffrubard at fusemail.com
Fri Mar 19 17:28:20 MST 2004

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:51:35 -0800
> From: Chris Brady <cdbrady at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [Marxism] Wholey Babble on Abominable Gays
> To: marxism-digest <marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
>
> A friend sent me this amusing Biblical exegesis:
>
> On her radio show recently, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an
> observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to
> Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The
> following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, penned by a U.S.
> resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as
> informative:

I suppose it is time to stop baiting and accept that mores have changed
with respect to the handling of Judaism as a religion professed by
Americans.  Although Dr. Laura is no prize peach, the letter reproduced
by you is extremely offensive in terms of the views professed by
Orthodox Jews as well (as most Christians): to wit, that the Old Testament
and New Testament have different hermeneutic desiderata -- such that
Christians are not quite seriously invited to have "coats of many colors"
and Jews are not invited *at all* to set brother against brother (a point
permitting of rarely-given elaborations).   However, it seems to me that
dynamics have changed enough such that this sort of affirmation
(true enough as it is) is perhaps no longer to the point.  I cannot fathom
that contemporary "heterodoxers" would be seriously interested in such
issues, but I also cannot fathom exactly why you (azza heterosexual man)
feel the need to speak up in defense of funny () stuff: the *gaya scienza*
(poesy) predates the identification of lovers loving lovage and the like
using that term, and given the traditional understanding of the aesthete's
life perhaps there are other *questions* to be asked concerning the
*derive* of "sexual personae" and the following integration (recently,
a wave of enthusiasm for "gay marriage" has swept over West-Coast cities
at a time when something like a plurality of their young residents cannot
effectively afford such a condition).  Really, it's perhaps it's time to
shut the
door on "straight but not narrow" and other liberal dogmas -- and hey,
maybe someone will help you shut the door for you.

Rubard