[Marxism] Re: Iraq one year later

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Sat Mar 20 07:07:37 MST 2004

     Am  19.03.04
schrieb  marvgandall at rogers.com (Marvin Gandall)
    auf  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  002601c40e33$3dfcb8b0$6501a8c0 at LAPTOP
  ueber  Re: [Marxism] Iraq one year later

MG> In this case, I think Perez and Gray are both concerned that if polls
MG> show Iraqis saying everyday life has improved in certain respects, it
MG> implies approval of the US invasion and occupation.
MG>
MG> One does not follow from the other.
MG>
MG> Why would the Iraqis not perceive the resumption of the trade in
MG> consumer goods from the outside, the public reappearance of the
MG> Daiwa, Communist, and other parties, the proliferation of newspapers,
MG> and - especially in the case of the majority Shias - the right to
MG> resume worship in their holy places, as advances?
MG>
MG> And why should this imply approval of the occupation?

  Think about what happened as immediate reaction to the murderous
bombings in Kerbela which were ostensibly aimed at the mass of
worshipping Shias -- while some foreign looking Asians were rounded
up, the main anger turned against the US military present there whose
vehicles were stoned. But no signs of civil war against Sunni Arabs,
as the perpetrators of these bombings might have hoped.

  I think it is a fact that many Iraqis are relieved that Saddam is no
longer ruling them, but they do not like to be ruled by foreigners,
either.

Yours,

  "Nach meiner Ansicht besitzt die Presse _das_ _Recht_,
Schriftsteller, Politiker, Komödianten und andere öffentliche
Charaktere zu _beleidigen_. Achtete ich [so einen Angriff gegen mich]
einer Notiz wert, so galt mir in solchen Fällen der Wahlspruch: à
corsaire, corsaire et demi [auf einen Schelmen anderthalben]."
                  - Karl Marx   17.11.1860  (Herr Vogt, Kapitel XI)