[Marxism] Re: Iraq one year later

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Sat Mar 20 09:40:14 MST 2004

     Am  20.03.04
schrieb  marvgandall at rogers.com (Marvin Gandall)
    auf  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  00c901c40e7d$60aabe80$6501a8c0 at LAPTOP
  ueber  Re: [Marxism] Iraq one year later

MG> But "street" Iraqis are frequently interviewed by US, British, and
MG> other Western reporters -- often after a suicide bombing or civilian
MG> casualties caused by American troops -- and they show no compunction
MG> about venting their hostility against the occupiers.

  You are right, and I don't think the problem with opinion polls in
Iraq is that the polled are afraid of saying what they think (except,
maybe in the face of a armed occupier, or in order to be polite and
not offend the questioner).

  The problem is with opinion polls which are organized in a way to
prove what the customer wants to hear.

   Remember the scandal raised by the Israeli government about that
opinion poll made by the European Union, where among the results were
that a majority of Europeans would see the state of Israel as the
major danger for peace in the world? The pollsters apologized for the
result and admitted that they should have posed the question in a
different way to get the proper result.

   Another case is the opinion poll among (university) students in
Germany which supposedly proved that a majority of them are in favor
of tuition fees. The students organizations, which were engaged in
mobilizations against the introduction of tuition fees, were upset,
and pointed out, that the poll did not present opoosition against
tuition fees among the choices for the polled. The boss of the polling
institute explained that this was OK so, since tuition fees are being
introduced anyway, that they are necessary, and that therefore it is
out of question to be against tuition fees. He explained this in a
radio show aimed at students...

   Some time ago, on this very mailing list, somebody posted his
account of a telephone interview he underwent, where none of his
opinions were possible choices.

   So one can expect opinion polls done by US institutions in Iraq
being rigged for the wanted results, and this without any threats to
the ones asked about their opinions.

Yours,

"Ohne Pressefreiheit, Vereins- und Versammlungsrecht ist keine
Arbeiterbewegung möglich"        - Friedrich Engels      (Februar 1865)