[Marxism] RE: Iraq One Year Later

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 20 13:44:46 MST 2004

I don't understand why Marv is so keen to portray the Iraqi resistance as
motivated primarily by purely political, so to speak, considerations, and a
sort of xenophobic unwillingness to be ruled by 'foreigners'. Iraqis are
suffering under an occupation regime whose primary sponsors utterly
devastated the country for 13 years (bombing and starving and
'deconstructing' the whole of Iraqi society). Iraqi people are faced by mass
unemployment, lack of public services, lack of water, food, electriticy,
etc. etc. When Iraqi trade unionists have taken to the streets in mass
protest in the last few months, they have been fired on by British troops
who chased them with automoatic weapons. It looked to me as if some cowering
was going on then as Iraqi civilians ran for their lives (I saw it on BBC
tv).
Why is it so hard for Marv to believ that Iraqis might be resisting their
occupation as a matter of life and death?
cheers.