[Marxism] Cyprus: Are Greeks the only player to blame?

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at theplanet.net.au
Sun Mar 21 16:53:52 MST 2004

It is certainly a healthy development if Turkish leftists are understanding
these things that Mine Doyran is talking about here, but unfortunately they
seem already to be well ahead of the Greek and Greek Cypriot left. There
have always been certain grouplets on the far left that understood the role
of Greek nationalism in creating the Cyprus catastrophe, but this has always
been overwhelmingly buried behind the veneer that Turkish expansionism was
far more to blame. This view is intensified both by the repressive nature of
most of the US-backed Turkish regimes, and by the fact that since 1974 it
has been Turkey rather than Greece that has maintained an occupation of part
of the island.

The Greek left could of course always attribute fairly equal  blame for the
events in 1974, because it was a CIA-backed military dictatorship in Greece
that launched the coup in Cyprus in 1974 to overthrow the Makarios regime
and bring to power right-wing Greek nationalists, precipitating the Turkish
invasion which could then claim to be defending the Turkish Cypriots from
these pogromists. However, where the Greek and Greek Cypriot left go all
wobbly is in recognising that the makarios government itself, in 1963-64,
had also been responsible for bloody atacks on Tuurkish Cypriot communities.
Certainly the regime was preferable to its right-wing opponents, but its
responsibility was grave - after all, iit was in 1963-64 that much of  the
forced separation of the two communities, consolidated in 1974, began.

Of course the Turkish-nationalist TMT played iits own role in this, and it
is clear from the beginning of the struggle against the British in the 1950s
that both greece and Turkey were backing respectiive right-wing nationalist
forces in the island, but as the majority community with far greater
economic power than the Turkish Cypriots, the Greek-Cypriot right,  but also
the more 'Centriist', left-backed, Makarios regime, must take primary
responsibilty.

Michael Karadjis