[Marxism] Bush's former terrorism adviser denounces him

Julio Huato juliohuato at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 19:41:17 MST 2004

Jim Farmelant wrote:

>I suspect that it means that the US ruling class is preparing to give Dubya
>the pink slip.

Fred Feldman wrote (re. Dick Clark's whistle blowing on the White House's
approach to terrorism):

>Another signal that Bush is losing "the mandate of Heaven"

With all due respect, I have a hard time with this way of looking at an
evolving political process.  It seems to rely on an extremely mechanistic,
teleological view of class struggles and intra-class conflicts.  It reminds
me of how self-marginalized political sects tend to pose these questions.

Where are *we* (the masses of people who are protesting against the U.S.
foreign policy at home and abroad) in this equation?  How does "Heaven" get
to form its "mandate"?  What concrete political process is going on here,
what are the forces in conflict, and how are we influencing and/or should
influence the process in a way that best advances our independent interest?
These things are missing in your remarks.

IMO, our role -- as we consistently oppose the U.S. invasion and occupation
of Iraq in our streets, communities, organizations, public arenas, and fora
-- has played, is playing, and will continue to play a *decisive* role in
the way things have evolved, are evolving, and will evolve.

Frankly, the implicit assumption that "Heaven" (the U.S. ruling class) is
omnipotent, that they can effectively predict and control events eight
months down the road is wacky.  People here complain a lot about how
academics are in their Ivory Tower detached from the earthly struggle, yet
the approach that underlies these remarks strikes me as the nec plus ultra
of academism.

Yes, the rulers are powerful, but they are not omnipotent and, despite the
appearances, our actions (mass demonstrations and electoral participation)
are decisive in the political process.  A real political process like this
allows for small, marginal influences to tilt the scales and we should try
our best to tilt them in our favor.

Our role is not to passively witness how "Heaven" issues "mandates" to
bourgeois politicians.  We are actively shaping up events that will have
tremendous repercussions in our lives.  Of course, "Heaven" is divided.
There is a significant portion of the ruling class who views Bush's approach
as misaligned with their interests, in the shorter or longer run.  There is,
certainly, another portion that is backing Bush, showering him with campaign
cash.  (Note the disproportion in campaign funding.)  And another portion
(perhaps most capitalists) that could go either way but that, until now, is
hedging its bets with a significant bias in favor of the incumbent.
However, these positions are not fixed.  They'll go long or short on Bush
depending on how living people act.

This is a very fluid, evolving juncture.  And we should not believe that
this race has been predetermined in or by "Heaven."  And we should not talk
as if, in general, "Heaven" can decide history behind our backs.  As weak as
the left and the workers' movement is, they can't.  We are taking part in
this historical process and IMO we, the masses, have a rather clear idea of
our immediate goal: a change in foreign and economic policy through a change
in the White House.  Let's play our little hand the best way we can.

I have exposed my views about why we should bring the class struggle into
the Democratic Party and use this campaign not only to agitate against
Bush's foreign and domestic policies, but also against the two-party system
and against capitalism, putting forth our longer term goals.  IMO, that's
the best approach.  That said, frankly, I'm not *opposed* to those who are
supporting Nader.  Although I'm not following them because I believe their
effort is wrongheaded, I do respect them.  If some people want it, they
should have that choice too.  My only advice to them is that they do their
best effort, with all they have, don't burn the bridges with other forces in
the left, and limit even more Heaven's apparent grip in our history.  We're
in this for very long haul.

Julio