[Marxism] Neoconservatives and Trotskyism

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Mar 22 17:34:25 MST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:01:57 -0500 Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes:

> >Hello Louis
> >
> >A question. I kind of remember reading in Saunders's "Who paid the
> piper"
> >book, that  Partizan Review was one one of the anti-communist or
> anti USSR
> >publications receiving direct or indirect CIA funding. I'm not that
>
> >familiar with US publications. Are we talking about the same
> magazine?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Sancar
>
> This is the same exact publication. During the 1930s it was the
> voice of
> the Trotskyist intelligentsia.

Concerning Partisan Review, it was originally launched with
the support of the CPUSA, which then subsequently
withdrew their support over various editorial issues
including the magazine's eager embrace of literary
and artistic modernism (which after all meant among
other things, saying nice things about such reactionaries
as T.S. Eliot and Ezra Pound).  The magazine folded
for a short time, then was relaunched by William
Philipps and Philip Rahv as a publication devoted
to Trotskyist politics and to modernism in the arts.

> After WWII it began to drift into the
>
> liberal anti-Communist camp and was encouraged in that direction by
> the
> CIA. Nobody reads it today. As far as I know, it is neo-conservative
> now.

In fact the magazine folded last year.  In its last couple of
decades, it was based at Boston University.  Apparently,
following the death of William Philipps, BU president
John Silber made the decision to fold the magazine,
in part to ensure that the university would retain its
rights to the magazine's name against any claims
that Philipps' widow, Edith Kurzweil might have had
to it.  It is said that BU might attempt at some future
date to relaunch the magazine.