[Marxism] Neoconservatives and Trotskyism

Dayne Goodwin dayneg at aros.net
Tue Mar 23 04:12:20 MST 2004

I appreciate your commentary on "Arguing the World."  I'm not at all
trying to defend Irving Howe, but when i read the passage below i thought
about being at an anti-war demonstration in Denver in the fall of 1970 at
which Tom Hayden gave a five minute speech consisting of the repetition of
two words: "Fuck Nixon!"
dayne

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Louis Proyect wrote:
	. . .
> . . . What Howe shared with the
> other three was an inability to understand the student radicalism of the
> 1960s. When he met Tom Hayden, then a leader of SDS, he tried to get him to
> take a position on matters such as the Moscow trials. Hayden found Howe's
> preoccupations irrelevant to his own, which revolved around ending the war
> in Vietnam and racial oppression. Beyond their ideological differences,
> Hayden found Howe's style patronizing and offensively avuncular.
	. . .