[Marxism] Re: Hungary 1956 (GDR as state caps)

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Wed Mar 24 09:22:27 MST 2004

Einde O'Callaghan wrote:

> Actually most of teh lower levels of teh civil service and many of teh
> lower managers in those enterprises that survived remained after the
> West German takeover.

I think you are correct, when it comes to those enterprises that survived.
But actually these are not so many.

When it comes to the more administrative parts of the civil service,
almost all of the management was replaced. E.g. most of the judicary was
completely restructured, reflecting the different needs of a capitalist
society. In this case the 'hostile takeover' analogy certainly does not
hold.

> living in east Germany as I do I find that the analogy is helpful and is
> shared (or at least understood) by quite a few of the former GDR
> oppositionists I work with.

As long as we accept it is a limited analogy, I can agree with you. But an
analogy is not a scientific explanation.

Johannes