[Marxism] Marxism and America

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Mar 25 11:29:58 MST 2004

Steven wrote:
> Could they not make a case for whatever they come up with for a solution for
> their failing capitalism, even if that is taking over large portions of some
> part of the planet, or making a slave state... to someone who doesnt
> understand why capitalism is failing (which very simply tells you what you
> need to do to fix it), things like this are perhaps possible?
>
> What are your insights on this? Am I being paraniod?

You are not being paranoid at all. We are in a race with time. The US
ruling class is becoming more and more dangerous as it seeks to
compensate for declining profits through military conquest and
saber-rattling. Sooner or later, a desperate 3rd world band of
terrorists will get their hands on a suitcase a-bomb and unleash it on
NYC or Washington. That will be the prelude to the end of the world.

Right now the main obstacle in the path of the warmakers is student
youth, minorities and long-time radicals organized in small groups. Our
hope is that worsening economic conditions, costly wars and
environmental degradation might wake workers up to class realities
before it is too late.

There are no guarantees that we will be successful. The only guarantee
is that the ruling class will have an easier job of it if we are
ineffective. Our main battle on the left right now is to fight both
sectarianism and reformism. Both the traditional "Marxist-Leninist" left
and anarchist youth are fighting for turf, while the soft left is
chasing after John Kerry. Our work is cut out for us.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org