[Marxism] Dr. Laura, the Bible and Social Policy

Craven, Jim JCraven at clark.edu
Wed Mar 31 08:48:31 MST 2004

doctor laura and the bible

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses
advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently,
she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality
is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be
condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open
letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which
was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding
God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and
try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.
When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for
example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly
states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need
some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other
specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it
creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem
is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I
smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned
in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would
be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she
is in her period of menstrual unseemliness - Lev.15:19- 24.
The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most
women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both
male and female, provided they are purchased from
neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this
applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why
can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.
Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I
morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is
an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than
homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God
if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear
reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20, or is
there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including
the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly
forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig
makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear
gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19 by planting two
different crops in the same field, as does his wife by
wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread
(cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and
blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all
the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone
them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at
a private family affair like we do with people who sleep
with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am
confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us
that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Eric Maddox
emaddox at ix.netcom.com

"If religion is the opiate of the masses, then religious zealots must be
the crackheads."

                                                   -Dennis Miller

James M. Craven
Blackfoot Name: Omahkohkiaayo-i'poyi
Professor/Consultant,Economics;Business Division Chair
Clark College, 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd.
Vancouver, WA. USA 98663
Tel: (360) 992-2283; Fax: (360) 992-2863
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~blkfoot5
Employer has no association with private/protected opinion
"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present
controls the past." (George Orwell)
"...every anticipation of results which are first to be proved seems
disturbing to me...(Karl Marx, "Grundrisse")
FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!