[Marxism] Re: {Chris} Che

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Wed Mar 31 14:40:18 MST 2004

I know that I have lost this battle before I engage. But some things
_must_ be done.

"Che" is no name, nor nickname. Not like John, or Andy, or Meg.

A "che" is, in Caribbean familiar parlance, someone from Argentina or
Uruguay.

In the groupp of Cuban revolutionaries of the mid fifties, Ernesto
Guevara Lynch was known as "el che", which means "the Argentinean".

Spanish speakers always talk about him as "el Che", not as a way to
turn English speakers mad at our articles, but as a _correct_ way to
call him.  In the same way, we never say "el Fidel" but "Fidel".

I would love it if at least Marxist Activists and Scholars linked by
this list began to call Ernesto Guevara Lynch either "Guevara" or "el
Che".  But never "el Guevara" or "Che".

Sigh.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar